A Rough and Perilous Life: The Redwood Loggers of Woodside

There is a new exhibit at the Folger Stable Carriage Room Museum, highlighting the history of logging in the Woodside area from 1849 to the early 1860s.

Funded by the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors’ Measure K Funds, the Hurlbut Johnson Charitable Trust, and the Beverly Folger Foundation, the exhibit features the men who owned the mountains and the trees as well as the men who cut them down—from John Coppinger, who received the original land grant from the Mexican governor, to Charles Brown who built the area’s first sawmill, to Colonel John Coffee Hayes, the first sheriff of San Francisco who commuted on horseback from his mountain home to his city office.

The exhibit also features the “timber beasts” who did the dangerous work of preparing and delivering the huge logs from the steep slopes below Skyline Ridge to the mills. Their lives are depicted in vintage photographs with descriptions of each arduous job as well as with the actual tools they used—such as whip saws, axes, wedges, and spring boards. Also, a life-size logger properly dressed for work and ready for action will be on view.

The exhibit will be free and open to the public, Saturdays, 10:00 A.M.- 4:00 P.M.